What does a Wedding Planner do?
A Wedding planner, sometimes also known as a wedding consultant or wedding coordinator, are professionals who assist with the design, planning, and management of a client’s wedding. Wedding coordinators are often regarded as the project managers of weddings, pulling everything together to deliver a well-coordinated event. The roles and services provided by wedding planners can vary greatly depending on the type of services you require.
Full service wedding planning is the most comprehensive package we offer. It involves managing every detail of the wedding, from the initial planning stages to the execution of the event itself. This service is perfect for busy couples who want a professional to take the reins and guide them through the process or for those planning a large or particularly complex event. The following is a list of what this generally entails:
- Consultation: This is typically the first step in the wedding planning process. The planner meets with the couple to understand their vision, preferences, and budget for the wedding. They provide advice and guidance, helping the couple define their wedding concept.
- Budgeting: Wedding planners help couples establish and manage their budget. They can suggest ways to make the most of the budget and guide couples on where to allocate funds to make the biggest impact.
- Venue Selection: Wedding planners have extensive knowledge of wedding venues and can provide recommendations based on the couple’s vision and budget. They can also help with booking the venue.
- Vendor Selection and Coordination: This includes everything from photographers and caterers to florists and entertainers. Wedding planners can recommend trusted professionals, obtain quotes, handle contracts, and liaise with vendors to ensure everything is coordinated on the day of the wedding.
- Event Design and Styling: From the color scheme to the lighting, the decor plays a crucial role in setting the mood for a wedding. Wedding planners can help create a cohesive design theme that aligns with the couple’s vision.
- Scheduling and Timeline: Wedding planners create a detailed timeline for the wedding day and make sure everyone sticks to it. They ensure that all activities, from the ceremony to the reception, flow smoothly.
- Guest Management: From managing RSVPs to creating seating arrangements, planners can take care of all the details related to guests. They can also arrange accommodation and transportation for out-of-town guests.
- On-the-Day Coordination: On the wedding day, the planner oversees the event, ensuring that all the moving parts come together seamlessly. They handle any last-minute issues that arise and ensure the couple and their families can enjoy the day without worrying about the logistics.
- Legal and Logistical Guidance: Planners can advise on obtaining marriage licenses and permits, and they can also coordinate logistics like parking and transportation.
- Post-Wedding Tasks: This may include arranging for cleaning, returns, gift management, and any other tasks required after the wedding day.
“Month-of coordination”, also often referred to as “day-of planning”, is a service we offer for couples who have done most of the wedding planning themselves but want a professional to oversee the final arrangements and ensure that the wedding day runs smoothly.
Although the term “day-of” is used, our involvement usually begins 4-6 weeks prior to the wedding date. This service is particularly popular with couples who are organized and have enjoyed the planning process but recognize the value in having a professional to manage the actual event, allowing them to fully enjoy their special day.
Here are some tasks we typically help with when hired as a month-of coordinator:
- Pre-Wedding Meetings: We’ll will typically have one or two meetings with the couple to fully understand the wedding plans, logistics, and the couple’s vision for their day.
- Review of Vendor Contracts: We can review all contracts to understand exactly what will be provided, when, and how. This ensures that we can effectively manage the vendors on the wedding day.
- Site Visit: If we’re not already familiar with the venue, we will typically conduct a site visit to understand the layout and identify any potential issues.
- Timeline Creation: We will create a detailed timeline of the wedding day, from setup to teardown. This includes all vendor arrival times, the ceremony, reception events like the first dance and cake cutting, and the end of the reception.
- Vendor Coordination: In the weeks leading up to the wedding, your specific coordinator will touch base with all vendors to confirm arrangements and make sure everyone is clear on the timeline.
- Rehearsal Coordination: We will usually run the wedding rehearsal, ensuring everyone in the wedding party knows where they need to be and what they need to do.
- On-the-Day Management: On the wedding day, we will be the point person for vendors, the wedding party, and sometimes the guests. We’ll handle any issues that arise, manage the timeline, and generally ensure that everything runs smoothly.
- Post-Wedding Tasks: Depending on the agreement, we may also handle some tasks such as ensuring gifts are safely packed away, rentals are returned, and the venue is cleaned up.
It’s important to note that a month-of coordinator’s role is different from that of a full-service wedding planner. We generally don’t assist with tasks like budgeting, selecting vendors or venues, negotiating contracts, or design and décor. However, we can provide invaluable support in the final weeks leading up to the wedding and on the wedding day itself, allowing the couple to relax and fully enjoy the celebrations.
At Plan STL Events, we treat your wedding like it’s our own. Clarity is key! From the smallest of details on, we make sure we understand your vision so that we can create your dream wedding. Your big day should be magical and unforgettable. Leave the details to our experienced wedding coordinator, so you don’t need to worry or stress. It’s your wedding; relax and enjoy it! Whichever type of assistance you need, when you’re ready to start planning your wedding, you can count on Plan STL Events.